Sunday, June 10, 2012

Things that I have learned

I am by no means an authority on running, or fitness. I am still overweight but I have learned a few things a long the way and I am sharing them. Especially if you are getting started from large and plan on becoming an ex-fatty (I consider myself) these are my  notes.
1. nobody cares. Honestly nobody is looking at you. Unless you exposing yourself indecently your clothes matter the most to you and only you. No reason to be embarrassed by exercising, especially at the gym. Tons of fat people go there, so do skinny people, they don't give a crap half of them are looking in the mirror at themselves anyway. 
2. tie that sh*t down.  Comfort clothes are for laying around and for people of walmart. If you are going to run or workout  do yourself a favor and wear something that fits. I have tried baggy stuff, it rides up, it catches on lumps and exaggerates them, and it falls down. In light of number one, nobody cares so buy something that will not move especially over high friction areas. Also if you have excess skin or a floppy belly, or boobs wear the right underwear. A high impact bra a size or two smaller than a comfortable one, and possibly a girdle. Yeah I still wear support, I got a lot of movement and I could put my back out really easily. You'll feel better under your clothes if your giblets aren't getting whiplash, maybe you won't care who's looking so much either.
3. never has to leave . If you can't be positive, you aren't going be be patient either. Learning to run takes patience. Dieting takes a long ass time too. If you say I could never run, you never will period. Congratulations you have painted yourself into a corner- don't do that. No one has the right to talk to you that way, why do you do it to yourself?
4. any effort is recognized. I was so ready to fight when I started running and working out. Thinking the fitter gym patrons thought I was lazy or not good enough, or the runners at my races thought I couldn't finish. They only feedback I ever got was a nod. There is a mutual respect, once you stick around and get to know people they are all just people and in most cases they are nicer than most people you meet. They had to start somewhere and they would never give you attitude for it. There is always going to be someone who thinks they are better than you anywhere, but the consensus is we are all friends.
5. surprising yourself is great. you will find you can do more than you ever dreamed. there is no better feeling than going a new distance, getting a new faster time, or trying something different and finding you like it. Why was I so afraid for so long?
6. you get old really fast and sometimes you don't have time for that. In my line of work I see a lot of people die. I see a lot of people suffer too. You don't know if you will have the use of your legs tomorrow period. Use them, there is a reason why your doctor tells you to exercise, it is the fountain of youth, and it keeps you out of trouble too!
7. if it's easy its probably evil. No more drive thru for anyone anymore. It's all garbage. If I falter one time and get something purely because its quick then I find myself having a hard time not eating everything in sight for a week. It's bad. There is unnatural crap in it. Make your own food. The least amount of processing it has the better. It also goes for training, slow and steady and scheduled wins the race. Don't just think you can run a 5k if you have never done it before, buy a book follow a schedule and buy shoes or expect pain and humbling. 
8. it really is all about the shoes. if you want to run for more than one run, go to a running store with a real runner and get your shoes checked. You may have a stride that can be corrected with shoes if you wear what ever pair was on sale you can probably expect shin splints, blisters, or even fractures are possible.
9. goop it. If you blister than grease your feet in your socks and sometimes on the outer sock as well. It's silly but it works. I do it all the time. Eucerin is my favorite.

10 track it. if you really need to loose a few pounds or you are training for something you should be tracking your calories. You have NO idea what you are eating even if you think it's healthy. you are going to be pissed when you find out 190 calories is 2 tsp of peanut butter. it has done so much for me and my training. If you run you need to replace at least half the calories burned to really keep loosing weight.

If any of my friends young, old, big, small, fit or unfit want to go for a run, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment