Saturday, July 14, 2012

my fortress of solitude

Today was my 16 miler and it flew by. I am tired and overwhelmed lately but I couldn't wait for Saturday morning this week.

I learned something today although clothing is fitted, and engineered for exercise, and the correct size, does not mean it will look and feel okay during a 16 miler. I wore a fitted tank top that insisted on being removed the second step I took. That was a rookie mistake not testing it first, so i ran the first 3.5 miles with a really irritating shirt on. Every few feet I had to pull it down to prevent it from scooting up over my dang head, and this is with a fuel belt on! I got back to my truck and I had one shirt inside that I changed into, sadly an all white long sleeve running tee, but I would rather wear something proven to stay in place even if it is a wet tee-shirt contest. (rainy and sweaty) The 16miler was needed and if that is what I had to do to salvage it I was doing it. So picture if you will me completely soaking a long sleeve tee on a 3 hour and 12 minute run yes thank god for bras, sorry to offend!!!  Lesson: some exercise clothes are made for looking good doing nothing. LEARNED

After I got comfortable in my skin the minutes ticked by fast. I look down at my watch and not one time before 15.5 miles did I wonder how long I had left. Today I wore the trail rated shoes on the gravel and uneven roads and through the grass and I think they did pretty well, now I am starting to debate on whether or not run my next marathon in them. I will just have to keep on debating though, that's part of training trying things and finding out they are good ideas or bad I guess.

Around 12 miles I found myself getting hungry and a little delirious I'll admit because I suddenly thought everything I thought was hilarious. I passed a chips ahoy wrapper/container on the side of the road and I looked more than one second and thought- wow too bad there isn't one left I haven't had one of those in like forever. Then I started kinda giggling. When I past the empty Busch beer can and I thought that looked good too I actually did laugh out loud. A couple passing runners went buy and I gave a "wassssaaaaaaaaauuuup" yeah time to get off the road and stay to the track for the last few miles, by then I forgot I was trying to hide because I was wearing an almost clear shirt with a nerdalert fuelbelt. By the time I made it back to the track I only had 2 miles left of 16.

I didn't really even hit the wall until about 14.5 I ended up running right up behind a sweet old lady pushing her Yorkie in a stroller who just happened to be smoking a cigarette. The smoke slapped me into reality ewww why would you do that here? Yess, yes smokers actually do exercise too but that's not cool for us ex smokers that have pretty decent asthma. So next time just wait feel the burn then light up please!

I made it all the way to 16.1 with a goofy grin. I love running and  I love training, wet tee shirt contest and all. I would just like to point out I was a little scared that 16 miles would be a painful run. Last year my 16 miler was the point that my IT band flared and I had to take an injury break and see a doctor. I realize that it could and probably will come back but I need to just enjoy the ride. I am trying to prevent what I can by strength training and hill work, if it happens it happens. I guess it's a good thing I don't have time to make this anything but fun.

running song of the day
Best Song Ever, The Ready Set

No comments:

Post a Comment