Sunday, March 11, 2012

Uncle Bud



As a little girl my mom took us to church on Sundays at the Beaver CMA church. Every Sunday I knew he was there at the doors to the sanctuary shaking hands, and handing out bulletins. I could always count on him to hug me until I grunted. He would frequently tell me I was 'growing like a weed'. I watched him during this years be a constant fixture of the church, it was nice to see his face there. I always felt like he was a great person even at the age of 10. He was a great father, I watched my cousins all grow up and get married and form families. When my grandparents passed, I loved that he looked the most like my grandma Blanche out of all our family. He was an all around good guy. His smile was infectious and ever present. I know he prayed for me.
Now as an adult, I see how amazing he really was. He was a husband. He was a devoted father. He was a provider. He was a brother. On top of all that he gave of himself at the church. I look at my own life, I can't even get my butt in the pew most weeks and he did all of those things and served too.  As a child he was a pleasant face in some unsure times, and one heck of a positive male figure. Looking back at all of this I'm inspired to be a better person if I can be, I hope my extended family feel touched by my life someday because I was a great person.


Today I got a call at work from my mom. My uncle Bud had passed away. He was 73ish and was on a missions trip in Nicaragua at the time. The story told to me is that he said his stomach hurt, he laid down for a nap and never got up again. My initial reaction was to cry. I have a lot of family on that side, ALOT and we don't see each other everyday, but memories hit me like a ton of bricks. . I haven't seen Uncle Bud every Sunday since I was a girl. At family reunions he was always ready with a great hug right away. Our family is large and when we get together its an over flow of love............YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE CHEVALIERS. It will never be the same without Bud.

Well done good and faithful servant.

1 comment:

  1. Glenn told me about this and I was sad, too. He worked with Glenn at the nuke plant for a long time and Glenn looked up to him. What a great guy.

    I think saying "I'm sorry for your loss" is kind of lame and I never say that. So instead, I'll say "I'm sad for you". You know I mean that. xoxox

    ReplyDelete