Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Answers to burning questions

So today was my appointment with the plastic surgeon. I was there inquiring about a tummy tuck, aka abdominoplasty/panniculectomy, aka fbchop.
I should share my feelings/fears surrounding this appointment before I tell you what happened. I was afraid I would have been told that I was still too fat, and that I just wasn't working hard enough. I was terrified of standing in front of a stranger naked. I thought it was something I couldn't afford even if I went for the consultation. I was tired of just wondering if someone could help me.
So when I got there, everyone was super nice. They show me to the room and tell me put on this diposable set string panties- on size fits all(most), and a robe. They were high tech I watched a movie about the surgery before anyone came in and saw me, then a PA interviewed me and examined me. She tells me that I do have some separation in my muscles, as I had suspected. Then the PA takes me into a very cold room and takes my pictures, damn near naked with my head cropped out of the frame. Back in the exam room the doc comes in and sits in a chair and motions me over takes my robe and really examines my skin flap. She looks under and sees the rash, that I always have. Has me step back and turn around. She says "You have a nice shape, and your pretty thin everywhere else. I do think you will continue to loose weight after this, but you are a canidate for the surgery." She went on to tell me that the skin will never go back the way it was on its own after examining the amount of strechmarks I have. At this point she goes on about pros and cons and risks, the procedure day the recovery. After he doctor left her another lady came to talk about the price, and then my appointment was over.
May I say this appointment took balls. I don't like nudity for the reason of my deformity, and going somewhere and removing my girdle even if they are professionals (not one but 3 people and pictures)for that reason it wasn't an easy share.
I thought the price would be roughly 3 times that much than they actually want, so I was pleasantly suprised. Its not going to be cheap, but we are considering it very seriously now. There are several factors besides price. That's 6 weeks off running. 2 weeks absolutely nothing and will need lots of help with the kids. I will have to pull those things together. Also the risk, I'm scared. I don't want to be taken away from my boys because of a procedure I chose to do, I am praying about this. Also about a month off of work.
Its a lot to think about. I am pleased to say that its possible. My reasons: I am processing my thoughts about this, and will share as I nail them all down. I will hear in about 3-4 weeks if my insurance is kicking in some help with the cost because there is a medical reason for it, at that point I hope that I will arrived at a descion and have a plan.

At this time I am feeling pretty good about it.
Counting Crows, RainKing

No comments:

Post a Comment