Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday run part 1: Skip

Today was my Saturday outside as usual. We've had an eventful week. After careful discussion with hubbs, we felt it was time to get the boys a dog. We have 2 mini dauschunds  that are 8 years old and they are tired of the kids trying to carry them and giving them a beating. I have been researching breeds and we decided something large, intellegent, and a good running companion. (needs to take a lot of play/rough house, train well, and run with me).  My first choice was a German Short hair Pointer, my second choice was a Labrador Retriver.
After finding the breed I wanted and started to shop for one, I realized money for a pure bred in not in the cards, so I looked petfinder.com for local rescues. There just happened to be 11 week old pups in the neighboring county that were Pointer/Lab mix. Well when I got there I saw that the pups were 15 weeks old, not a big deal, when they brought me to see them this little cutey hopped up and put his paws on the fence and made eye contact, it was all over for me. Now the boys think they named him but I knew right then and there his name was Skip. He looks like a Skip, and he was taken home that day. The last few days adjustment haven't really been all that bad. Now owning 3 dogs and having 2 small kids at this point isn't crazy, its better in a way. You ever heard: the more the merrier? Its true.
The first mile of today's run was Skip's first mile. He kept up the whole way, for such a young dog I was really proud of him. I think he's a great addition to the family. When he turns into a horse dog at least he will look like he will protect me on the run, but I am sure he would just lick them to death. :)
And it goes with out saying the boys are over the moon for him.

Song for Skip: We're Going To Be Friends, Jack Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment