Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reflecting on 2011

This year is almost over. Wow.
I started this year a runner. I had no idea what direction I was going in. I had gained weight from Christmas and sickness and I was just looking to loose a few pounds. I was dealing with my kids being sick most often also. Any work out I would get done was a treat.

A few months into the year a good friend, Paula recommended I read Run Like A Mother. I did and it inspired me. I started toying with the idea to run a marathon. Googling things and researching I found that nothing is really celebrated about average larger people running these races and decided I needed to. For whatever reason I found a close by marathon and signed up. I jumped in an ice bath in February, I wanted it bad! I also read Marathoning for Mortals, and used their training schedule, I was on fire. For some reason a lady with a 1 and 3 year old, I still felt like I could do it.

A couple weeks into my training a got a call from the local paper. (an excited family member called them) I was in the paper, not just a tiny little note in the back, a huge color article and a page and a half on Sunday. I didn't know what to think about all of that at first but it has been great for me. Being honest and putting myself out there gave me no where to hide and it has blessed me. I have made some awesome friends. It helped keep me going when things got rough.

In the spring, my babies turned 2 and 4. They continue to grow everyday, reminding me to enjoy them as much as I can. We took a vacation for the first time since out honeymoon, at which time I was slightly injured and forced to rest my legs. When we returned around the time of my 31st birthday, actually that day my son had tubes put in his ears and also a biopsy on an inflammed lymphnode. I can honestly say the moments leading up to the words ' Not Cancer' where the scariest ever.

In July I ran my first 10k. Yeah a couple months away from my first marathon...I know.. I know I was so naive. It was that time that I learned around what time I would finish the marathon for my pace, it would be close to 6 hours. I had to accept all of that and move on as I was training. That same month I developed ITBS and had to take some more time off and see an orthopedist. I was so fortunate to learn I could keep going as long as I could take the pain, so I did, slower still. I started getting weekly massages to help release the tendon. At the end of August I had gained a decent few pounds. But I made it through my long run and I was starting my taper.

The marathon was one of those days you never forget. I know its marked on my memory forever. It was nothing I expected. I made it through, I laughed, I cried, I ran, I limped, I screamed, I bled and I changed forever. I still can't believe it all. I was 3rd to last, last officially timed, I am proud of that.

A week or two later I got injured again and had to take a month off. It was depressing. I was a wreck. I did however need a break though. It was good to slow down a bit. I organized things, I got answers to questions I seek. I went to the doctor asking about my belly fat and a tummy tuck. She didn't say I wasn't a good candidate, she was ready to help me, but something made me feel like I should keep trying. I observed my life around me. My oldest son, learned to write his name. My youngest growing like a weed, but still needs me a lot. I don't know I just decided it was time to give it another big hard push instead of doing that.
It was good to have a rest, I do say the last week was horrible.
In a month I was back running again. I started counting calories around that time. It starts to work in my favor. I have been through Thanksgiving and Christmas now and have lost a total of 17lbs since then. This morning was another new low 186.2, It just seems crazy to me. I never thought I would get so far after doing all of that. I just needed to be more vigilant past a certain point I guess.

So now its December 28th, I stand looking back at 2011 and I have to say its been an amazing year. Goals for 2012? yep, goal weight- I'm coming for you so look out. I will be running my first half marathon (teehee) yeah I know I have already done a full, but I never did that distance before. I would like to get faster as the year goes by and I get smaller, but my big goal this year is the rest of the weight for the first time in a long time I feel like I can do it.

I hope all of you have a happy and prosperous New Year too, my blog family.

Song for 2012: What The Hell Is A Gigawatt, Four Year Strong

2 comments:

  1. I heart you, the best 2011 friend I ever met. :)

    You inspire me every day, you helped me more than you'll ever know when my FIL was in the hospital, and in 2012 I'm going to get my ass in gear. 50's gonna be fab, not fat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula you know I love you too *cyber hug* you are beautiful, I know you can do anything you want. Here's to you in 2012 Red!

    ReplyDelete