Friday, May 27, 2011

Sucking up sun and inspiration

Now that we have a baby pool in the drive way and a yard full of plastic toys,  you can guess my little monsters no long want to stay inside. I am cool with that but its boring just getting eaten alive by bugs, so I like to read in between 'don't do that's'. I have been thumbing through Run Like a Mother, and Marathoning for Mortals again. Both books have inspired the crap out of me and made me feel confident in my goal. Run like a Mother totally gets my station in life and why us girls run. Marathoning for Mortals is showing me how to get there, I follow their schedule. Also M.F.M. the chapter on the finish line makes me cry and gives me chills. I was at the mall last night alone, a rare occurence/treat. I found a book by Grete Waitz, Run Your First Marathon, and bought it. What the heck, I could use some more inspiration, its almost June. The days are ticking away the race will be on my doorstep soon, don't tell but I am getting the Jitters.
So In this book so far I have read the forward and the first chapter, duh I had no idea this woman was a running legend. That's me Johnny come lately to sports, she's WON the NYC marathon 9 times and she's a medalist and world champion, she pretty much pisses excellence.  But I love her tone, she says that a couple extra pounds is okay if you are healthy, anybody can do it if they do the work. She also says that she questions arrogance all the time-love it! You'd think she would be all arrogant herself and elitist, nope not at all she's a really cool person so far. I am hooked. "If you aren't nervous, it's time to hang up your shoes". -Grete
I will be reading her as I sitting with my fly swatter getting splashed by the baby pool, working on my farmer tan. I have the tank sleeve, the short sleeve, the Garmin, the mp3 player and the Zensah sleeve and the short and the Capri line all at varying tan lines. Lets not forget wedding band, flip-flop, sock/shoe lines too. HA I look like a flabby zebra!
Today I need to crank out an hour of cross training somewhere. Maybe a bike, a walk or, big loser video. Tomorrow will be 90 so I go at dawn.

She's a Genius, JET (fist-pump for Grete)

1 comment:

  1. how far can i get up my own butt. got a facebook message this afternoon after i posted this, earth to manda... Dear Grete Waitz died of cancer literally weeks ago at the age of 57. I never get a chance to watch anything but baby tv, how embarrassing. I don't give a crap that she's dead she's still one of my new hero's and coaches! May she rest in peace as her legacy keeps running with all of us.

    ReplyDelete