Thursday, July 14, 2011

after the run

Most of the time when I run on my long days I get so in the zone I don't notice how taxing it is on my body. Yeah I notice when I get cramps, or an injury, or god forbid my stomach tells me its time to get to the bathroom-LIKE NOW, but I really think the harder part after an ideal long run is the recovery period.
Yesterday my saint of a mother took my boys away for the entire day. It was quarter after 5 when she came back with them. I had the whole day to myself. So after I stumbled out of the icebath and shower, and ate and blogged I said I would nap, the truth is I laid in my bed and tried my damnedest it never happened. I watched Dr. Oz do Zumba on tv, thinking wow that man is white. I closed my eyes tight I never did fall asleep. I got up ate- totally honest I made chicken noodle in the microwave and took it back to my bed and sat up watching tv What Not to Wear. My left glute and hamstring were angry. Everytime I shuffled to the potty and sat down I tensed up and couldn't pee right away. Yeah that's the trouble with post awesomeness. I do have to say recovering you get a little delerious and Americas Funnest Home Videos is suddenly beyond hilarious. This healthy appetite turns to a chore to eat, but a must. I get all glassy eyed and slow.
What was just fantastic is that later at 4pm I had to go to work for a meeting. That meant, fixing my hair, putting makeup on and putting on clothes that aren't made of strechy material. I chose jeans because I didn't want everyone to see my zensah sleeves, as awesome as they are with kacki shorts you look like a UPS man. So 92 degrees and jeans over zensah sleves, and flip flops. I am a nurse and I know full well they are not allowed at work. I was not on duty though, and hello my shoes wouldn't go back on for all the tea in China. After telling a coworker about my training this weekend and getting the 'you're a psycho' look I decided not to talk about the days awesomeness. When it was time to go observe something I saw someone give my throbbing flip-flopped snausages a disaproving look, I tried to look as nonchalant as possible like well I'm a slob deal with me, but I was a little embarassed. I tried not to shift in my chair, which I had to with that angry glute. And when I got up from sitting tryed not to hobble can I get my oscar now please?
I get home my mom brings my kids home asleep- she's given me to exhausted children, priceless. I finally decide to route around the cabinet for some sports cream. I am not acustomed to it, after an incident in highschool when I applied then decided to soak in a tub, can you say hours of BURN. Well I rubbed BenGay on my butt, er glute and it finally settled down enough so I could tolerating stretching it out. I didn't fall asleep til around 11pm.I woke up this morning feeling great considering what I did yestery, really, no ankle bracing, and I was able to get down on the floor and change my son without and divine intervention. Right now my knees are a tad poofy and my toes are enormus, I was able to hang with my boys all day even carry them and help a friend move. Tomorrow I hit the gym for weights hopefully with shoes on.

I Believe In A Thing Called Love, The Darkness

1 comment: