Thursday, March 31, 2011

rest day

Well its supposed to be a rest day. Preparing for a birthday tomorrow and going to a funeral(:( tomorrow. Also going to Karate later after shopping for food and schelpping the kid to preschool too. I am tired. Enough about me.
Lets talk about Autumn. I have called her the Kenyan before. She is not Kenyan, I'm not sure of her nationality but I am sure its closed to good ol' Heinz 57 just like all us western PA residents- a little of everything! We met at the Darlington Derby last year. My first race, I was nervous. Looking around for people to stand by. She was all by herself and she wasn't nervous. Infact, I watched her tie her shoes, and look around smiling. She seemed like she might be nice. We got to talking after the shuttle dropped us off at the start and we lined up together. Then after the race is the next time I saw her because she hauled ass down that course. I was really impressed. She placed that day in her age group, accepted her medal with a huge diet coke under her arm. And she actually talked to me. We face booked later after that, I was excited to have a friend that didn't think running was boring. She actually understands how great I think it is. We live in different towns and lead different lives completely but she is one of my favorite people. Thanksgiving was the next time I saw her, we ran the turkey trot together. It was a good race! She of course took first in her division, and me 2nd! It was the high point of thanksgiving for me! We have continued to comment back and forth on facebook and just recently ran St. Patty's day race together. She of course beat me by like 5 minutes, and took the most lady like finish photo. So thats 3 times in the last year we have physically seen each other. Every time we run together she beats me. She is faaaast to me thus making her alter-ego The Kenyan. (I don't have one yet). We have planned since Christmas to run Warrior Dash together, I have been looking forward to it. Yesterday she announced she signed up for the Erie Marathon, you can't contain my excitement in any container. I am sure we are both finishing for different reasons, but this brings up my comfort level a whole notch. It's not a finish without the Kenyan waiting for me at the end :). I can't wait. Hope I didn't embarass you, I'm just so proud.

Song: Where is the love? Black Eyed Peas

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I earned a blog mention! BLUSH! :) I am so excited we are doing this together. I was so proud of you for finishing the Darlington Derby after learning a bit about you at the start, and just hearing how hard you worked to get where you were, and I love 5K newbies, because I will never ever forget how I felt crossing that first finish line! So I was basically just all-around excited for you. You've come so far since then, it's truly amazing. And despite the fact that I've only seen you three times physically (something we must rectify), you're most definitley one of my favorite people, maybe because you actually understand this whole running side of me, and well, that's just a big part of who I am, and unfortunately alot of people just don't "get it". But I know there's always one person I can turn to, and that makes a sport that can feel solitary at times, feel, well....not so much! Love ya girl, you rock, we rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I can't believe I was the subject of the WORST running picture EVER! I can't bring myself to show it to anyone, you're the only one who has seen it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the lady like comment was sarcasm for only you! lol. i can place a link here to it if you would like....... just kidding.

    ReplyDelete