Monday, September 19, 2011

Marathon act 3.

I smiled big as I got across the start, still in a herd of people. There were tons of cheering people it was electric. I kept trying to remember to pace myself. A couple times in the first 3 miles I was 11something a minute an I had to control myself.
All of my good songs were playing. I was just enjoying myself. The first mile went by quick and so did the pack. That ALWAYS happens, its happen enough to not bother me at all. The first water stop was so funny they were all dressed like the Clampits or something, even Granny was representing, I laughed out loud. Grabbed a water and drank it threw it behind me. I didn't stop. At this time the sun was peaking through the dunes and in some spots you could see it, pink water. Beautiful, gorgeous. And around this time I began noticing other things. People flinging their sweaters and stuff, littering, oh and um watering the trees. Sally, you were right people do just go in the woods and go to the bathroom. I only noticed men doing that. But I said to myself, I'll be damned she was right! The first 3 miles were a giant smile plastered on my face, like the pudding face in the commercials. Around 3 is where we turned at the entrance to the peninsula and went out towards the bay, next water stop down the road was clampits, and it was still funny. I am still so happy and around 4 is when the halfers start to pass me. They started out 30 minutes after me, so all the fast ones were flying past me. Hey shorty black shorts guy, thanks for the view! ;) At the 6m/10k point the crowd was there again cheering I smiled big, enjoyed the cheers. Then after that you don't see anybody but water stop people until mile 13. Its cool though, it gave me time to think and focus, you know as all these people are still passing me. Autumn jumps in from the side to run a mile with me. I tell her I was so happy she was there, and I meant it. I tell her my big toe hurts but its not major, at that point nothing else is hurt/hurting. She says she'll see me on the other side I yell "remember to stretch bitch!", I was getting my endorphins I get swearing.
I keep on trucking through the water stops drinking water and sport drink and plod happily along, singing to myself, still smiling. At the tip of the peninsula, my mp3 player took control of me for awhile, Hey Jude came on. I put it on there on purpose so I can think of my kids. Oh and I did, I could see thier perfect little faces, the moments when I first looked at their faces when they were born it was flashing before me. When they were chubby babies and all they could do was smile and poop, and I could see them how they were now, my big preschooler and my trying to be big 2 year old. I thanked god for them and kept on.
I continued as I made it closer to the halfway point to be passed by halfers. Its cool though some of them were really struggling and I gave them a distance left from my garmin and told them they could do it. I got a fist pump from someone. Around mile 10 I had to pee, I happen to pass a shelter, not a portajohn with running water bathrooms I ran up the hill busted in ran to the last stall, did my business pulled up my stuff and left. I did not a. shut the door, or b. flush. Please forgive me I needed every moment. I took off again, empty once more, and saw Autumn again she ran a little with me before she had to go, it meant so much to have her with me.
I crossed through the half finish, full halfway point there was sooooooo many people they were all cheering I should remember this. As I plod back down again towards the park enterance a second time a lot of done halfers were walking around on the course, maybe they forgot some of us were still running! hahah. I know I was like almost last they probably thought no one else would be going by. All hopped up on endorphins I came up on a halfer that had passed me walking still in the middle of the course I got in his face and said, "what done all ready?" What the hell did I say that for? I am so sorry LA tshirt guy I was starting my marathon trip and it was a very stupid thing to say, I'm an ass. Good work, you made excellent time, now get off the course.
I run past the clampits again and its not only funny now, its trippy. Like so funny is weird, and sort of a little real looking. As I got on mile 14 I saw someone turn around and start walking on the other side of the road. As I approach, I see the blue tag on him, full marathon number. Then I see his face, devastation and heartbreak, he was pulling out. I will never forget the look on his face, ever. I still feel sad for him, and hope he's okay.
After I passed the 14 water stop I became solitary runner in wooded area. It was a little daunting at first thinking where the freak is everyone? I dicked with my mp3 player for a bit deciding I didn't want to listen to a few songs. I took my first walk break at this time, only for a minute or so. I keep going and soon its time to turn towards the peninsula again. Finally I see people again on the course, um 1 person. He caught up with me, shook my hand, his name was Frank. I told him "Frank I'll remember you for the rest of my life"I was serious too. He told me we got this now, they won't sweep us as long as we keep 15/m the rest of the way. He asked me if I was hurting, I told him not really. He was good company because I was starting to get nervous about being alone. We got through 18 in each others site, at 19 I stopped to pit crew. Everyone was talking to me and taking my picture, I started swearing. Not just a little I was using the f word. I was screaming, orders. I'm sorry guys, it was getting desperate for me I knew I didn't have much time. I grabbed a bottle of water and a bite of protein bar. It took me probably 5 minutes to chew that, it was on either side of my cheeks like a chipmunk. I made it to the tip of the peninsula with Frank in my site and might right calf started to hurt. I stopped to stretch it out, and started putting in walk breaks and Frank dissapeared. I was alone on the course again. Looking at all sorts of gu wrappers on the course. for the record I didn't litter one time, I carried my trash to a can the whole course. I was so afraid of being swept, I kept going. I started singing to myself with my tunes. I then turned the volume up all the way. The water stops are now start to run out of sport drink so I am drinking water, and wondering if my calf is cramping because I had too much water. I passed exactly 2 people. As I did they were looking not well, delirous. At mile 22 I could see a man with a red shirt in front of me, he looked like he was hurting. Head down the rest of the course, I could see him, I was worried for him, I prayed he would be ok.
I looked all around and on one of the beaches someone was blowing bubbles. Not kiddie bubbles either, like 2 giant sticks with a couple of ropes. They were blowing in the wind and in the sunlight  pink and shining. They were so beautiful, I would say it was the most beautiful thing I saw the whole day. Like pink diamonds, breathtaking, I was tripping out, for a minute I started to run towards the beautiful bubbles think oh pretty....then a car sped past in the right lane and it snapped me out of it. The aid station at the 23 stop, i stopped there to try and stretchout my calf that was now starting to really protest. The man at the tent asked if I was okay, I yelled I'm good. Then I yelled at my calf calling it a little bastard and told it to knock it off. He gave me a towel from his cooler it was wet and cold, I noticed it said md. I shook his hand and said Amanda Fink RN> I am such a dumbass. I kept that towel when I wanted it off my neck, I tied it to my belt, I am never throwing away that towel! Thanks doc.
I kept on, sore in pain but was still going, I never stopped moving even if I had to keep walking. My calf was getting more serous. I start feeling desperate. I keep telling myself, go for broke, go for broke. I was thinking of all the people that love me, and support me. And I was trying as hard as I could.
at 24ish a lady on a bike, race official, pulled up asked if I was okay. I told her I was, I tell her to please don't sweep me. She says you are 10 minutes ahead of the pace at this time and you will make it, there are people still behind you. holy shit what?She then writes down my number and rides to the next stop, I believe it was to tell them to pack in after I run by. So encouraged I battle on.
The Distance, CAKE

No comments:

Post a Comment